I am on a never ending quest to prove that I can turn any type of dish into a burger. So much so that I even wrote a burger cookbook with over 60 different burger creations! (Check it out - Burgers on a Weeknight). But I still have new ideas all of the time. This one came to me in a peculiar way - I had gotten some diced ham for my son to put in his mac and cheese. And I thought how else can I make with this besides adding it to eggs. And that's when it came to me - put it in with ground chicken and make a burger called the Chicken Cordon Bleu Burger!

You are going to want to remember this Maple Dijonnasie recipe for so many other things - sandwiches, wraps, as a salad dressing and on meats. I think it would also be a great dip, although I would probably thicken it up some with more mayo. I used what some call a "country dijon" to make the sauce. It is a dijon with a stone ground mustard seeds in it. It gives it a little more texture. If you aren't into mayo, you could replace with plain Greek yogurt. Just be sure it's plain and not vanilla - I made that mistake in a salad dressing once and it did not taste very good.

Because this is made with ground chicken - you want to make sure it is cooked through. The best way to check that it is completely cooked with with a probe thermometer. You want to be sure that the center (halfway through the patty in the center of it) is to a temperature of at least 170deg. So adjust your cooking time as needed to make sure you are achieving this. I like to test mine at the 25 minute mark and if it's there, I put the cheese and do the last 5 minutes. If it is not, then I will check it at 5 minute intervals.

Since this isn't a typical burger I decided to skip the typical potato side as well. I made some crispy zucchini fries that came out so very tasty. And they were a total hit. Plus they tasted so good dipped in the sauce! This would also be really great for a pasta or potato salad.

Now Let's Get Cookin'!

Chicken Cordon Bleu Burger

The classic flavors of chicken cordon bleu on a bun!

  • 6 Onion Buns
  • 6 slices Swiss Cheese
  • 1 cup Crispy Onions

For the Patties

  • 1½ lb Ground Chicken
  • 8 oz Ham Steak (cut into ¼-in chunks)
  • 1 cup Crispy Onions (crushed)
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Pepper
  • 1 tsp Parsley
  • 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)

For the Sauce

  • ¾ cup Mayo
  • ½ cup Stone Ground Dijon
  • ½ cup Maple Syrup
  1. Preheat oven to 400degF.

  2. Combine burger ingredients in a bowl and form into 8 equal patties. Place on a parchment paper covered baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.

  3. Place slice of cheese on each patty and bake for 5 minutes more.

  4. In a small bow, combine sauce ingredients. It will be a loose sauce.

  5. Build the Burger: Place cheese burger on bottom bun. Ladle sauce over top (as much as you like, it will be messy). Top with a handful of crispy onions and top bun. Press down slightly to help it all stay together.

Main Course
American, French
burger, chicken burger, dijon, Ham, maple syrup, mayo, Swiss Cheese

Estelle Forrest's self-published first cookbook - Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook - was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:

AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS

Estelle self-published a second cookbook - Burgers on a Weeknight - recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:

AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS

Don't miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight - subscribe and get an email with every new post!